Thyroid has become one of the major problems in today’s world. There are many people suffering from this problem. This disease is caused due to hormonal disbalance of thyroid gland. Considering yoga for thyroid is one of the best options to cure thyroid problem. You can easily do yoga poses at home. It does not involve expensive medicines and long medical bills.
Let us discuss how can yoga cure thyroid permanently.
Can Yoga Help Cure Thyroid?
Yoga is important to stay healthy and improve your well-being. It helps in relieving stress, balancing energy and increasing flexibility. It keeps the gland healthy and prevents further complications of thyroid. There might be some of the poses which can harm your health. Consulting a physician before starting the yoga practice is better because yoga might not be a substitute to medication.
The twisting, stretching and compressing yoga asanas release thyroxin which is useful in metabolism. There are various yoga exercise for thyroid control.
Yoga And Thyroid Health
If you are opting yoga for thyroid treatment you have to be really patient as yoga is a slow process. It takes time to get the positive results.
According to American Thyroid Association, there are around 20 million people who have been suffering from some kind of thyroid disorder in US, and around 60% of them are totally unaware about it. The symptoms of thyroid are more prevalent in women than in men.
There is a study in which it is shown that if women are doing intense yoga practice for 6 months it has reduced the need for thyroxine medication and has helped them with hypothyroidism. There have been many studies which show that yoga helps in improving thyroid function. In a study conducted in 2017 yoga improves the well-being and reduces stress. The people who have done yoga for thyroid were greatly benefited by it.
There are many types of thyroid disorder which can affect your health and force you to take medications. But, the two most common thyroid disorders which affect many people are:
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
Some of the common symptoms of hyperthyroidism are:
- Excess and unusual sweating
- Irritation at small issues
- Difficulty in sleeping at night
- You are nervous, hurried and anxious about things
- Either you don’t eat much or start eating too much. But whatever the case is, you do not put on weight. Your appetite might change suddenly.
- The thyroid hormones are produced in excessive quantity.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
Some of the common symptoms of hypothyroidism are:
- Excessive and embarrassing hair growth on face
- Your face might start puffing up suddenly
- You get lethargic, disinterested and casual towards everything and everyone.
- Increase in constipation problems
- Sudden weight gain despite not eating anything
- Your throat starts swelling up
- You start feeling exhausted in the usual daily routine more than normal
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Thyroid hormone production decreases
Some of the other symptoms of thyroid disorder are heart problems, hair problems, skin related issues, depression, low energy level, body ache, feeling of chillness, fatigue, muscular pain, loss of memory, water retention, weakness, trembling hands, mood swings, increased bowel movements and reduced sex drive.
Yoga for thyroid – Yoga Poses to Improve Thyroid Health
Many people are curious to know how to cure thyroid by yoga. Yoga has been an ancient and divine art which has been practiced by many people since many years to get mentally and physically fit. Let us discuss how some of the yoga poses can help in the cure of hyper and hypo thyroidism.
Yoga Poses for Hyperthyroidism
Some of the yoga poses which are specially targeted for curing hyperthyroidism are:
- Cat-Cow Pose
- Corpse Pose
- Child Pose
- Bridge Pose
- Slow paced Sun Salutation
Yoga Poses for Hypothyroidism
Some of the major yoga poses which are meant for curing hypothyroidism are:
- Inverted Pose
- Fish Pose
- Plow Pose
- Cat-Cow Pose
- Shoulderstand Pose
- One-legged Forward Bend Pose
- Fast paced Sun Salutation
If you are suffering from hyperthyroidism it is better to go for pranayama and avoid the neck spraining asanas.
Pranayama for Thyroid
Yoga for thyroid is a good option but if you have been suffering from thyroid for a long period of time and due to some reasons, you are unable to do yoga asanas it is better to opt for pranayama. The pranayama suitable for hyper and hypo thyroidism are mentioned below:
- Pranayama for Hyperthyroidism
Bhramari pranayama (bee breath), cooling pranayamas like Sheetkari and Sheetali pranayamas, Ujjayi pranayama and Nadi Shodhan pranayama are considered to be some of the best pranayamas for those who are suffering from hyperthyroidism.
- Pranayama for Hypothyroidism
Nadi shodhan pranayama, Ujjayi pranayama, Bhastrika pranayama and Kapalbhati pranayama are great for the people who have the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Breathing exercises are considered to be good for overall health of the body.
Meditation for Thyroid
Meditation is very effective for thyroid and it can be practiced by the people who are suffering either from hyper or hypo thyroidism. People suffering from hypothyroidism become casual towards everything. They need to make an effort to stay active physically.
Meditation can help you in doing so. Panchakosha and Hari Om meditations can be tried by those who have been suffering from thyroid. Mediation can help in reducing stress and keeps the mind cool and calm as stress is the major cause of thyroid. Even if you chant “Om” you can feel the healing of thyroid gland when you put your hand on it after the chanting. Meditation is also a good option besides yoga for thyroid.
Diet Tips for Thyroid Disorders
Proper intake of diet is very much necessary for a healthy lifestyle. Despite doing yoga for thyroid, you should have a good diet. Some of the diet tips for thyroid disorders are:
- Avoid having carbohydrate and fats.
- Black walnut is rich in iodine which is good for thyroid gland.
- Ginger or ginger tea can help in improving the function of thyroid gland.
- Consumption of seasonal fruits can also help in curing thyroid.
- Drinking coconut oil can improve thyroid gland functioning.
- Walking in sunlight for 10-15 minutes can be useful in curing thyroid disorder.
- Green and leafy vegetables should be consumed regularly.
- High fiber diet should be consumed.
- Pumpkin, wheat grass seaweeds, carrots, spinach and sprouts can be considered because they are rich in iodine.
- Fish, oatmeal, radish, curd, eggs and meat are iodine rich food and should be consumed in good quantity by thyroid patients.
It is better to avoid non-vegetarian foods, fast and spicy foods, preserved and refined foods, mango, grapes and banana, milk products and milk, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.
When To See A Doctor?
After reading the above article if you feel that you are having the symptoms of thyroid it is better to consult a doctor. The doctor can advise you whether you have hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism and can accordingly give you medications. It is a natural and healthy option to do yoga for thyroid but medicines also play a very important role in its cure.
You have to continue taking medicine alongside yoga and consult a doctor before stopping the medication.
Most of the people do not have any knowledge of how to cure thyroid permanently. It so happens that sometimes wrong consultation might lead to the consumption of wrong medicines. This can result in more complications than cure. Doing yoga for thyroid can be very effective. The results although might not be quick but they will be long lasting.